A few months ago, we announced our official orthopedic partnership with the Circus Arts Conservatory (CAC). You may wonder what orthopedics has to do with a circus.
The obvious answer is the circus is comprised of athletic performers and SOA specializes in Sports Medicine, so it’s a PERFECT match. MOST important, SOA supports the educational aspect of the CAC. When people think of the CAC, they first think of spectacular entertainment. What many don’t realize is the phenomenal contribution the CAC makes to our community from their Education curriculum. Did you know:
- the Circus Education program teaches in 15 area schools across Manatee and Sarasota Counties
- 80% of ticket revenue supports community outreach
- Sarasota is known as the Circus Capital of the World
- the CAC Circus Education program teaches Newton’s physics, law of Universal Gravitation, through juggling
- the CAC donates over 5,000 tickets annually to over 50 non-profit organizations
- they depend on 300 volunteers annually to run their programs
- their educational program is designed to include students who would otherwise not respond to traditional instruction
- their outreach program proves when children are actively engaged, they are able to understand
- their Humor Therapy educational program goes far beyond entertainment, improving the quality of life for those in hospitals and ALFs…Humor Heals
- the Humor Therapy team made 368 visits to local care facilities this year
- physical activity in children = higher academic achievement in school … Circus Education reaches out to grades K-8
Wow, that’s a lot … and there’s so much more as to how the Circus Arts Conservatory reaches out to folks of all socio-economic circumstances, ethnicities, gender, and ages.
So why are we telling you this? The Circus Arts Conservatory needs our help and we need yours. Beginning September 1st and continuing for 24 hours, the CAC will participate in the 2015 Giving Challenge. Over 400 local non-profit organizations work tirelessly without sleep to garner donations for their cause as well as vie for grant money through the Community Foundation of Sarasota and the Patterson Foundation. Over the past three years, the Giving Challenge has raised over $8 million dollars for local non-profits. Special grants will be awarded for Most New Donors, Best Overall Campaign, Best Video, and Best Business Partnership … as the CAC Business Partner, SOA is encouraging all our patients, staff, family, friends, and social media followers to join the challenge.
On September 1st at noon (not before!), please go online to www.circusarts.org/givingchallenge and make a donation. This year, new online donations between $25 and $250 will be matched, making your gift even more important. At the online site, you will be able to follow the 2015 Giving Challenge leaderboard of all the local non-profits to see how much is being raised in real time. For a closer look at the CAC educational program, watch this video: https://vimeo.com/134961942 … then donate on September 1st. Everyone one of us at SOA appreciates your participation … WE APPLAUD YOU FOR HELPING!