You’ve heard calcium and vitamin D are essential to maintaining strong bones and slowing osteoporosis. Here’s a list of bone-smart foods to include in your diet that will pack a punch in elevating your calcium and vitamin D intake:
- Hearty greens like kale and spinach have an added plus of iron
- Sardines may be off-putting for some but even a tiny portion will add to bone health
- Salmon, as little as 3 ounces, has 100% of your daily vitamin D and an added bonus of Omega-3 fatty acids
- Fresh OJ but watch your portion of sugar intake
- Yogurt; not the Greek style … it has less vitamin D than the regular
- Milk – choose low fat, fortified with vitamin D
- Eggs; don’t be afraid of the yolk which is where the vitamin D is located
- Cheese, in moderation please … two small cubes should suffice
- Fortified cereals
What are YOUR “go-to” healthy favorites? Let us know in the comment section below.
Our commitment is to get our patients back on their feet, back to work, back in the game, and back to life. A healthy diet is essential to your bone health. If you’d like to view information about Sarasota Orthopedic Associates, our facility, our locations, or our physicians, please CLICK HERE.