If you are new to our blog, Sarasota Orthopedic Associates is undertaking a 12 week biggest loser challenge. We’ve asked our staff to share tips and inspiration during this healthy challenge and ask YOU to join us on our journey. Feel free to share your comments and tell us what inspires you to transform your life. This week, we hear from our Chief Financial Officer, Mary Mather, who shares some wise words to get your days started with positivity and reflection.
Habits are one of the most powerful forces in our life. If each year you could replace one ‘bad’ habit with one healthy habit, imagine the difference that would make in your life! To kick off the New Year, try this new morning routine to set yourself up for success for a more productive and healthier year.
- Drink 16 Ounces of Water Upon Waking. Try adding a squeeze of fresh lemon, apple cider vinegar or a drop of essential oil such as lemon or peppermint. Room temperature is considered best to help flush out toxins, helps digestion and hydrate.
- Spend 5 Minutes in Reflection. Anchor your desired mindset for the day by connecting to your inner self, being mindful of all that is good. Gratitude is an immensely powerful tool. Begin your day by ensuring a positive attitude that’s easy to carry forward.
- 5 Minutes of Gentle Movement. Take a 5-minute walk. Stretch. Do some yogic sun salutations or bounce on a mini-trampoline. Just 5 minutes of any kind of physical activity, even low impact, is an awesome way to get your blood pumping and get you physically motivated for the day. It’s also a powerful reminder that your health is one of your highest priorities.
- Drink a Healthy Nutrient-Rich Drink. Once you are back from your walk (or finished your exercise), make yourself a green juice or smoothie, or something else super healthy. Better yet, make it before you do your 5 minutes of movement so that immediately afterwards you can indulge yourself with pure goodness. Keep frozen fruit, a banana and some power greens on hand so this step is super easy. Sip your juice or smoothie while you do the next step.
- Read, write or listen to something inspirational. There are countless free inspirational email services and podcasts like http://tinybuddha.com or http://www.tut.com or Daily Boost that you can subscribe to for daily inspiration. Journaling for a few minutes can set your intention for the day as well. The purpose is to focus your mind on something positive to begin your day. Stay inspired!
As with any new activity, always consult your physician. When you do feel your spine, joints, or muscles out of sorts, Sarasota Orthopedic Associates is here to help. We see patients in our four convenient locations and offer same day appointments when needed. Our mission is to get our patients back on their feet, back to work, back in the game, and back to life!